First row discussant: Ioannis Papadopoulos
The State of the Union has selected a group of EUI community members as first-row discussants during the panels on 4 May. They’ll be the ones to get the ball rolling for lively discussion following the panel presentations. Get to know who they are, and what they specialize in.
- What is your connection with the EUI?
Alumni (Forum professor in 1996, visiting fellow in 1999), and currently Fernand Braudel fellow (SPS Department)
- How would you summarise your research, in just a few words?
I am working on the consequences of governance transformations for democracy and on accountability issues in rule-making.
- On which panel will you be a first-row discussant at SoU2017?
Letting the Citizens Decide – Plebiscites and Populists
- What can academics contribute to policy-discussions about the future of Europe?
Especially in the ‘post-truth’ phase, academics can produce evidence-based knowledge on policy and contribute to a nuanced understanding of politics.
- What are you most looking forward to about SoU?
I am looking forward to fruitful exchanges between academics, politicians, practitioners and civil society on hot current issues.