First row discussant: Samuel Schmid
The State of the Union has selected a group of EUI community members as first-row discussants during the panels on 4 May. They’ll be the ones to get the ball rolling for lively discussion following the panel presentations. Get to know who they are, and what they specialize in.
- What is your connection with the EUI?
PhD Researcher in the SPS Department, 2nd year (started in 2015)
- How would you summarise your research, in just a few words?
Open borders and inclusive citizenship: Why and when can we (not) have both?
- On which panel will you be a first-row discussant at SoU2017?
‘Genuine Links and Useful Passports: A Decline of Citizenship?’ chaired by Prof. Rainer Bauböck.
- What can academics contribute to policy-discussions about the future of Europe?
Our world is becoming increasingly complex. Seeking to understand and explain this complex world, academics can provide evidence that is relevant for crafting informed policies.
- What are you most looking forward to about SoU?
I am looking forward to learning more about the perspectives of policy-makers on the issue of citizenship – a concept that is central for my thesis.